Aside from the interest rate, what are the most important things to look at when evaluating choices for a credit card?
When choosing a credit card, you need to consider the following:
- Interest Rates: Low interest rates that help you minimize the amount on interest you pay each month.
- Cash Back and Rewards Incentives: Whether it’s cash back or rewards points, getting rewarded is crucial to making your credit card work for you. Getting rewarded for your transactions is a must.
- Added benefits: Looking for those extra perks? Look no further because with every America First Credit Card you get the benefits of top notch card security through Card Guard, great deals and discounts with ABC Deals, and Identity Theft Recovery….which are all free!
How do I protect myself from the risk of fraud or ID theft when shopping online?
Fraud is something we need to be aware of these days, unfortunately. It’s important to know about free tools available to keep your personal information safe. Some things to keep in mind:
- Create smart, strong passwords. Incorporate capital letters, numbers and symbols.
- E-mail wisely. Be cautious about what you’re disclosing in e-mail messages. Never send your credit card information, social security number of other private data via e-mail.
- Shop safely. If ordering online, be sure the site is secure.
- Take advantage of online tools. America First holds member security as its upmost priority and offers services like Card Guard, which allow you to turn your card on and off and of course Apple and Android Pay
America First recently concluded its 13th Annual Community Food Drive. The food drive, held at all branch locations throughout Utah and southern Nevada, collected 18,400 pounds of food. This equates to over 15,000 meals for those in need. Nicole Cypers from America First Credit Union talks more about it:
Our employees loaded all food donations into trucks which were then distributed to local food pantries and food banks. Thanks to all the America First Credit Union employees that participated.
The holidays are upon us and as Utah’s largest credit union, they know the importance of giving back to others. They’ve recently launched their Skip a Payment program, which is a great opportunity for members to skip a loan payment during the holiday months and simultaneously provide shoes for children in need.
The annual Skip a Loan Payment program offers members the opportunity to skip monthly loan payments from November 2017 – January 2018 for $25. America First will then donate a portion of the fee to purchase shoes and ‘warm the soles’ of children.
To learn more about donating through the Skip a Loan Payment program, call 1-800-999-3961, visit one of America First’s 124 branches or visit www.americafirst.com
Tips for Sticking to a Budget:
- Calculate expenses. Your first order of business is finding out exactly how much you’re spending each month.
- Determine your income.
- Set savings and debt payoff goals.
- Record spending and track progress.
- Be realistic.
America First has great free budgeting tools in our online banking and mobile banking applications. This is a great tool to track and manage your spending.
Viewer Question: Is it smart to use my credit card just to get the points/rewards if I’m paying it off every month?
If you are paying your credit card off each month, then yes it is smart to use your card for the points/rewards. You earn one point* for every dollar you spend, and with Visa Rewards you can redeem your points for a variety of rewards including:
- Gift cards for restaurants and merchants
- Merchandise such as iPods and Blu-Ray™ players
- Tickets to events
- Activities like amusement park visits, spa excursions, sightseeing & outdoor adventures
The back-to-school season is here and while parents have been frantically planning to complete the shopping for new clothes and supplies, America First Credit Union is focusing on a special offer for university students. Here today is Nicole Cypers, PR and community manager, to share more.
America First Credit Union is holding orientation events at USU, WSU, UVU, DSU and SUU. Plus, your college student can get a pair of university-branded socks when they open a savings and checking account (with a free debit card) and download the America First mobile app. Offer valid until September 30 for U of U and BYU students.
Nicole also answered the following:
1. What is the easiest way to track your spending?
- Identify how much money is coming in and going out and where that money is going
- America First offers free Online Banking & Mobile Banking budgeting tools, including Money Manager, which will allow you to track spending, easily budget, manage debt and create a financial roadmap
2. What’s the best way to protect myself from fraud?
It’s important to know about free tools available to keep your personal information safe. Some things to keep in mind:
- Create smart, strong passwords.
- Incorporate capital letters, numbers and symbols.
- E-mail wisely.
- Be cautious about what you’re disclosing in e-mail messages. Never send your credit card information, social security number of other private data via e-mail.
- Shop safely.
- If ordering online, be sure the site is secure.
- Take advantage of online tools.
- America First holds member security as its upmost priority and offers services like Card Guard, which allow you to turn your card on and off and of course Apple and Android Pay.
For more information or to find a branch near you, visit www.americafirst.com.
The summer season is officially underway and at America First Credit Union, they’re celebrating with low-rate auto loans all season long with their “The Sweet Taste of Summer” campaign.
Nicole Cyprus joined us to explain what makes this campaign so “sweet”:
- They’re offering 60 days of no payments on all new auto loans and giving members a chance to win loan payments up to $300 and interest-free auto loans with daily drawings.
- The contest runs now through August 31, 2017. Members can receive one entry for every $1,000 financed through the campaign dates. Winners will be selected daily, excluding Saturdays,
- Sundays and holidays. (Visit an America First branch to be financed and entered to win).
- They will be helping members in the community cool down in the summer sun by having their newly-branded ice cream truck on-site at various community events throughout Utah and celebrating “The Sweet Taste of Summer” with popsicle treats for attendees.
- It’s a great time of year to become a member with America First for those that aren’t already and take advantage of their low interest percentages and affordable monthly payments.
For more information about “The Sweet Taste of Summer,” visit americafirst.com.
America First always strives to be a leader in adopting technology to help members meet their financial needs. They say that by updating the application, America First differentiates themselves from other financial institutions in the industry, while also providing members with the tools to achieve their financial goals and create a customized user experience. The app has all of the great features as old versions, as well as some very noteworthy new ones. Members will still be able to take advantage of Mobile Deposit, Popmoney, Transfers, ABC Deals, Bill Pay, and Loans. Mobile Banking now supports Touch ID/Fingerprint Authentication for logging in. Members will also have the ability to add accounts from other financial institutions and stay on top of their finances with Net Worth, Budgets and Spending.
Learn about the benefits of becoming an America First Credit Union Member.