Jennifer López, R&R Partners
702-318-4203 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Nicole Cypers, America First Credit Union
801-827-8655 / email@example.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
5 Tips of Financial Wisdom for National Financial Awareness Day
Ogden, UT – August 13, 2019 – To promote consumer financial preparedness, America First Credit Union (AFCU) is sharing five fundamentals for financial fitness.
“When it comes to finances, education is one of the most powerful tools,” said AFCU president and CEO, John Lund. “Our goal is to equip people for financially sound practices and empower them to develop, achieve and maintain financial well-being. At America First, we believe that informed members make for stronger communities.”
For National Financial Awareness Day on Aug. 14, take a look at these financial principles:
- Create and stick to a budget – A well-thought-out budget will help prevent financial stress and increase spending abilities. Budgeting is about confidence, not guilt. Stop comparing yourself to others and be real about your income.
- Improve your credit score – Know your three-digit number that comes from one of the major consumer reporting agencies, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. Members can access a FICO® score within the AFCU online banking portal. Repair and build your credit by correcting errors and paying debt down.
- Reduce and manage debt – Start reducing your debt at a steady and deliberate pace. Don’t just move it around. Keep your credit card balances low and pay off your monthly charges. Also, be sure to stay current with all your bills.
- Save money – Complete a seven-day spending freeze. Just before you begin your freeze, gas up your car and go grocery shopping. Plan a menu for the week and only buy what you’ll need. Your goal is to use what you have for the next seven days.
- Learn about your finances – Members can take advantage of free financial counseling, free financial education and safe savings programs.
To learn more, watch AFCU’s video series, FUNDamentals, at americafirst.com/learn. Topics include good versus bad spending, loan basics and demystifying mortgages.
Editor’s Note: AFCU representatives are available for interviews to discuss financial preparedness tips. Email Jennifer.Lopez@rrpartners.com to coordinate.
ABOUT AMERICA FIRST CREDIT UNION
Proudly celebrating 80 years of servicing members and a long-standing history, America First has become one of the largest, most stable and most progressive credit unions in the country, and has remained a member-owned, not-for-profit cooperative financial institution. Today, America First has 128 locations, and is the ninth largest credit union in assets in the United States with over $11.1 billion, and the sixth largest credit union in membership in America with more than 1,021,000 members.