Security Update: It’s Time to File—Beware of Scams
As the tax season shifts into high gear, criminals also step up their schemes to rob you. They will impersonate IRS employees, set up fake sites to steal your data and deploy many other tactics.
But there are ways to protect yourself:
- Dismiss calls, emails and texts from people who claim to represent the IRS—the agency only communicates via mail on official letterhead. Hang up, delete, delete.
- Don’t pay anyone who says he or she is from the government, needs a pre-paid debit card, and threatens to levy fines if you don’t comply.
- Never reply to emails, texts, pop-ups or ads asking for your personal or financial information.
- Don’t do your taxes over public Wi-Fi hotspots vulnerable to hacking.
- Visit us here to learn more about safeguarding your resources.